Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I Need Some Help For A Paper

I am supposed to write a paper in my Intro Stats class. It is supposed to be very simple and use at most a Bivariate Regression. I don't know what a Bivariate Regression is yet, because that chapter is next week. I tell you this so you realize where I stand on Stats knowledge and so that anyone who rights back won't feel the need to use big words.

Anyway, the idea is to test two variables against each other, or so I gather. My ideas are thus: (1) Use a simple and easy to find economic indicator of freedom, i.e. something that indicates lack of regulation or minimal state interference, and see if good things accrue, i.e. less crime, more good shit, etc.

(2) Use an indicator of gun ownership, like NRA membership, and then test that against less crime, good shit, etc.

I was hoping to do this across the 50 States so that my sample isn't too small, or I could use the counties in California. I would love suggestions for what variables I should use and where to find them. My goals are to do this easily, for a grade, and not so much to prove a point, although if that can be done in this little silly paper please let me know.

Thank you for your help with this!
I look forward to hearing from you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Yo bro,

What I think of off the bat is state income tax rates. Pretty accessible, and you could tie that into something, like GDP per capita, poverty level, etc.

Hope the surfing is going well.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Publiix said...

Hello Brandon,

That is a great idea. Thank you. By the way, no time to surf just yet, but I shall be skiing by January, which is heavenly!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home