Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Mid Terms Already, for God's Sake!

Max and Steve were kind enough to respond to the last post and have thus rekindled my desire to reach out through this strange glowing box before me, ostensibly for chatting up some of the finest young minds strewn around the globe, but more personally for connecting to kindred peers in cities and towns that seem so far away, and yet not out of reach. I hope that you have enjoyed your new school years, jobs, and lives since our departure from the campus I now frequent. It probably was a strange twist of fate that led to me that place, surrounded by wonderful and engaging friends of liberty for an incredible week, and now to be surrounded by the most insane bomb-lobbing commies anywhere in the world! The irony.

As mid terms approach I am reminded how fast time goes by when your having fun :-), or when your frantically studying mean standard deviations, Pacificus Helvidius debates, and the Politics of Aristotle, all the while trying to remind yourself that you've done this before and can do it again, and that the thirty-thousand dollars a year really is a good investment. I suppose many of you have similar, and quite different, stories to tell to be sure!

Like Simon Mann, the smiling happy guy still searching for John Galt; like Russ the party animal; Roman, the traveler; Brandon, the future Judge; Anders, A is A, and Anders is, well, Anders; Priscillia, travelling to England I believe?; Jeanne Marie, hopefully enjoying Ave Maria (is that spelled correctly?); oh, and how about Katie Creel, that crazy fun loving crazy girl!

I know I would love to hear from you, and the other 60 people that, with the colossal energy of a Hamilton, I may have been able to list, but with only the small talents I have, have not. I feel comfortable speaking for all the rest who have remained that silent majority when I say that we would all love to hear about what's going on in your lives and your corner of the world! But if the response is lacking, I won't feel discouraged or unhappy; just saying hello again, and knowing that you're out there making a difference, has been enough.

Bidding you Godspeed, and to the Europeans and Atheists, good speed :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Publiix said...

Hello Philippe!
Wonderful to hear from you! I hope you got a kick out of my little joke! And I am sorry to hear that the unions are up to their old tricks.
As you know, the U.S. is having its own problems with Social Security, as it is supposed to go bankrupt in the not to distant future and start contributing to the already huge national debt that Franklin Delano Bush has contributed to. I hope that his secret plan is to starve the goverment of so much money that it is forced to cut stupid programs, like Social Security. I suppose that the problems facing your program are similar? Perhaps you would let me know?

Here in sunny California it is sunny, and with that sun it stays pretty warm. You would think that I might get a tan but staying in doors all the time studying has provided me with a dull sallow appearance, made much the worse by my thickening scruff which I cannot bring myself to shave.

Of course I would like to see Belgium someday, rain or no. One thing that I have already noticed is how much I enjoy a strong change in the season, something that doesn't seem to happen here. Back in Utah it has snowed enough already for the back-country skiers to get some action.

I hope that your new year in school is a good one! For many of us here we are frantically preparing for mid-terms.

Again, it's really good to hear from you! Keep me up on all the good gossip coming out of Belgium.

7:54 PM  
Blogger S said...

Hey bud!

School is extremely busy, but good. A full load of schoolwork is keeping me occupied; I'm taking 12 units of honors classes and a couple business classes. I got a job as an executive assistant to one of the school's 4 VPs, which is pretty sweet. And debate is lots of fun. We finished 21st at Claremont, I think, out of almost 100 teams, which isn't bad.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Publiix said...

Wow Steve, your work load makes me feel underworked and over complaintive. I made that word up. I have often wished that I possessed the skills to juggle so many things at once, but I don't have the skills to be the collosus that Jefferson rightly recognized in Hamilton, and which I sense in you! Bright things await a man so decicated and capable. That is really awesome! Are you going to continue to grad school or law school? And if you find yourself travelling out again for more competitions please alert me. I will try not to make the airy promise to make it down to Biola, even though it's not that far; But I will remind myself to make time for a break from school and hopefully get together with you before too long.

And Megan, I didn't forget about your crazy party ass at all! The more you tell me about AZ the more I think I am coming out there! Of course, the chances of that actually happening, as you no doubt picked up from above, aren't as good as they seem to be in my head, but it sure sounds good!! I am thrilled to hear that you are enjoying it; college is such a cool deal. My problem is probably more that I am just not ready to grow up and quit playing the happy-go-lucky undergrad. I want to liven up the campus here at CGU but I am out voted and everyone is a bit older and working on families and careers. None of that for me, just yet! A little more party time please... to be continued :-).

5:49 PM  
Blogger Roman said...

CJ et al:

The great adventure continues. I am currently in DC for a weekend of reconnection with some old friends. Tammy (the storm) and I drove up from South Carolina on Friday. Last night smelt like fall after the skies cleared. I had not seen clear skies since early last week.

New adventures for the next few months include Boston, Colorado, and Italy. Work on a long cyberpunk story (book?) continues (in-between travel) (and parenthesis). I am always willing to meet up with people.

Grad school? If I need it. I'm going to try and sell a book with out the extra training, first. More importantly, it's a lot of fun to validate day-dreaming as work. Because, you know, it's for the book. If all goes well, I'll never have to work for The (Wo)Man again (unless it's my editor).

Check my blog for a sneak peak.

Be well,

Roman

10:36 AM  
Blogger Publiix said...

Hey Roman,
How I miss D.C.! Since your up for seeing old friends don't hesitate to drop a line if you find yourself heading to Utah or Claremont area CA! And if you have a knack for bringing storms along with you, please tell me when you plan on visiting any good ski resorts; I'll meet you there!

Since you are writing books, I thought you might consider a story about a group of young men and women who form a kind of international society that seeks to effect a libertarian revolution: bourgeois of the world UNITE!!!

And now, to check out your blog...
Until next time!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home