Sunday, July 24, 2005

To the law students out there

I thought I'd list some law resources for American law students.

NYU Journal of Law & Liberty - [shameless self-promotion..] - a journal that I and some friends started at NYU. It focuses on classical liberal and libertarian legal scholarship. A longer blurb about it here. It's awesome. Ask your library to subscribe.

Federalist Society - conservative/libertarian organization with increasing influence in the political/legal world. Lawyers divisions in all states and student groups at most law schools. Great resource for contacts, job and clerkship opportunities, networking, funding, support, etc.

Institute for Justice - foremost libertarian public-interest law firm - they have a great weekend seminar each August - definitely apply to attend (application deadline is around Feb.).

[Pacific Legal Foundation, Washington Legal Foundation, Atlantic Legal Foundation (google them), Alliance Defense Fund, Beckett Fund, etc. - public interest law firms, some decidedly more conservative than libertarian]

Volokh.com - blog of libertarian law profs; great blog, plus links to a ton of other good blogs.
Note on Volokh's website that he also has written a book on legal writing for students. I've never seen it, but I've heard it's good, so you might check it out.

Perhaps I'll add some other things to this list if I remember them, but really, Volokh, IJ, and Fed Soc should give you enough pointers for you to eventually find a host of things of interest to you. But if you're looking for anything that I might be able to help with, just email me.

Also, google something like "law student writing competitions"; there are a few sites that list a whole bunch of them...

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom W. Bell said...

Thanks, Robert! I meant to post such a list, and undoubtedly would have gotten around to it, but see now that I needn't waste my time. You are more likely to reach your fellow L&S seminar students than I am, anyhow.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home