Thursday, July 21, 2005

An Essay Competition for Graduate Students

The Society for the Development of Austrian Economics is please to announce that submissions for the Don Lavoie Memorial Graduate Student Essay Competition are now being accepted. Submissions will be accepted from students enrolled in a graduate program in economics or other relevant disciplines anywhere in the world. Essays should make use of and forward the work of the Austrian school of economics. Three prizes are given, each worth $1000, to be used to pay expenses to attend the Southern Economic Association meetings this November in Washington, where the winners will present their work on a special panel. Prize awards are contingent on attending the SEA meetings and the SDAE’s annual business meeting and awards banquet.

The prize committee consists of:

Peter Boettke, George Mason University
Emily Chamlee-Wright, Beloit College
Steven Horwitz, St. Lawrence University
David Prychitko, Northern Michigan University

Deadline for submissions is September 1, 2005. Decisions will be made by September 15.

All questions and submissions should be sent, either electronically or by mail, to:

Peter Boettke
Department of Economics
George Mason University, MSN 3G4
Fairfax, VA 22030
pboettke@gmu.edu

More information on the SDAE can be found here.

Feel free to pass this announcement on to other blogs or websites, or communicate it to colleagues and students at your schools.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I wish I'd known about more of these essay competitions before I graduated. I strongly encourage people to enter as many competitions as they have time for. They are great practice for honing and articulating your thoughts. And you never know how likely it is that you'll win. My first year in law school, I entered a writing competition on religious liberty, an area of law I knew nothing about. I spent an enormous amount of time producing a 30-page memo, and I ended up getting third place. These essay competitions (e.g. the several that IHS sponsors) are much less involved (~6 pages) but award higher prizes (but then more people enter, so perhaps the expected returns are not substantially different...).
Anyway, law school folks, there are a TON of writing competitions out there, and many of them probably don't get a lot of submissions. So enter, especially if you wrote a paper for a seminar.

8:40 AM  
Blogger W. said...

Thank you, Steve, for this info. I concur with you, Robert. I did an essay contest a few months back and did all right. You can check it out at http://www.acton.org/programs/students/essay/2004/

Now, I am into doing them when I can find the time. I wanted to do the IHS contest but was not able to finish it with any quality. Too much going on at the time. Next year, I hope.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home