Monday, April 17, 2006

Dream I had last night

Last night I had a dream I'm calling the 'libertarian dream'.

Various thing happened that I can't quite remember (something involving a mime... what does that mean?), but where it becomes clear is when I went to go pick up my backpack from somewhere in a park where I'd left it earlier in the dream. The problem was that the place I left it was apparently a historical protected place. It was alright to hang out there, (as many people were doing), but if you left anything there it would be marked by the police. Marked by yellow dye flung all over it.

Apparently that was a warning. If you did it again you'd get a $300 dollar ticket. I complained about dye staining my backpack, but the people around didn't understand what I was so upset about. I was lucky they didn't give me a ticket, besides the dye was supposed to wash out eventually. "But it's not fair!" I complained. "There's no signs saying you can't leave your stuff here for a little while. If the government is going to out-law that, they need to tell you. Besides why is that a law anyway? Don't the police have better things to do? This is just a government scam to make money."

But the people continued to not see my point. "You left it in the shade", the people said. "Don't you know that you're not allowed to leave things in the shade? Doesn't matter if there's a sign or not."

I take my backpack and walk across the park and continue to fume until I come to a woman sitting on a bench with a group of young children at her feet. She's explaining some astronomy concept to them and I'm admiring how clear she's being and how all the children are so enthralled with what she's telling them. Then a man sits down next to her and interrupts. "So", he says, "How do you explain 'blah' [some slightly complicated science concept I can't remember] to them?" "Well", the woman says, "first, I tell them about 'blahdee-blah' [some slightly less complicated, related science concept], and then when they understand that I can explain 'blah' to them and they'll understand.

The man immediately whips out a ticket book and the woman and I realize with shock that he's a plainclothes policeman. "Explaining one thing to build up to another constitutes a lesson plan", he says "and having a lesson plan means you must have a government issued certificate saying that you're allowed to teach these children. I'm going to have to write you up for this".

Well, on top of the yellow dye all over my backpack and the bad day I was apparently having earlier in the dream, (something about that mime. I don't know...), this was just too much for me. I took a running tackle at the guy and started kicking his ass while shouting, "Let them learn! Let them learn!" until he was just a bloody piece of plastic. (Yes, plastic. I don't understand either. Dreams are weird.)

If I hadn't woken up then I probably would have ended up getting arrested and sent to Siberia.

Anyway. I was pretty amused when I woke up and thought you guys would get a kick out of it too.



Maybe I should call it the 'libertarian nightmare'.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zimmy said...

Thats a realy wierd dream, cool though, creative. I wish I remembered my dreams more often!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Publiix said...

It would be funnier if it weren't so eerily realistic.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Roman said...

Why don't I have Orwellian dreams like this? I'm lucky if I remember half a scene, let alone the whole movie...

In answering what the mime and the plastic mean to you, ask yourself what importance both things play in your life and maybe you'll find a connection.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

The thing I love about it is that I actually used the word constitutes. That's a word I don't use nearly enough in my everyday life and here I am using it in a dream...

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home